French Level I/A
The goal of this course is to introduce you to the sounds, structures, basic vocabularies, and cultural notions involved in communicating in the French language. You’ll also be introduced to many francophone regions worldwide. The course aims, objectives, and assessment criteria are consistent with the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning.
At the end of level I (French IA and IB), a student should be able to:
1. Understand spoken French from various sources.
2. Comprehend short written texts, letters, and advertisements.
3. Show good pronunciation and intonation.
4. Communicate effectively on a variety of topics appropriate in level
for new language learners.
5. Use appropriate present tense forms with reasonable easy and accuracy.
6. Respond in writing to prompts, and write simple messages with an
acceptable degree of accuracy in grammar, syntax, spelling,
punctuation and accentuation.
7. Recognize a number of symbols and icons of French culture.
8. Describe some aspects of France and worldwide francophonie.
9. Enter with ease a number of French language-related web sites.
10. Show elementary knowledge in these eight areas:
foods and drinks
environment (weather, city/countryside, physical geography, health)